In honor of pi day, we made two galettes! One sweet, one savory.
Let's start with the savory... ricotta, asparagus, prosciutto, and of course we drizzled it with hot sauce (3 different kinds, in fact).
For the pâte brisée...
1 1/4 Cup flour
1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 Cup unsalted butter, cubed and very cold
1/2 Cup water, very cold (I use iced)
For the galette...
1/2 Cup fresh ricotta
1/4 lb asparagus (about 6 pieces, sliced in half)
drizzle of olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper
3 pieces of prosciutto
1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
1. Begin by making the pâte brisée. Whisk together flour, 1 Tbsp. sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add 1 Cup cold cubed butter, and use a pastry cutter to work the dough until the pieces of butter are no larger than small peas. Drizzle cold water over the dough. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to work the water into the dough. Do this until the flour is all incorporated and the dough is shaggy. Give the dough a few kneads until it forms into a ball. Flatten the ball into a disk and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least one hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough into a rectangle that is about 1/8 inch thick.
4. Transfer the sheet of dough onto your baking sheet. Spread ricotta onto the dough, leaving 1/2 inch of overhang. Line the asparagus on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fold the overhang on top of your filling.
5. Take egg wash and use a pastry brush to apply it around the edge of the dough. Bake for 25- 30 minutes, until the dough is golden brown.
6. Let cool on the baking sheet completely and serve with hot sauce!